What Is Information Literacy?
Information Literacy is the set of skills needed to find, retrieve, analyze, and use information. Information literacy classes are available in face-to-face and online formats for all courses in San Antonio, Woodlands, and RGV. Sessions cover topics from general library orientation to assignment-specific instruction.
To request an information literacy instruction session for a class in the School of Business & Leadership or the Worden School of Social Service, contact Research and Instruction Librarian Steven Wise. To request an information literacy instruction session for a class in the College of Arts & Sciences or the School of Professional Studies, contact Research and Instruction Librarian Darby Syrkin. You can also fill out the form linked below:
The Mission of the Sueltenfuss Library is to cultivate Information Literacy at OLLU by:
- Teaching the lifelong skills of finding and evaluating information in order for students to succeed at OLLU and beyond.
- Working collaboratively with faculty to identify resources and learning activities to teach information literacy competencies.
- Designing assignment-specific library instruction sessions for courses as requested by the instructor.
Standards of Information Literacy
The five basic standards that define the abilities that an information literate student has are:
- The information student determines the nature and extent of the information needed.
- The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- The information literate student evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his or her knowledge base.
- The information literate student, individually or as a member of a group, uses information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose.
- The information literate student understands many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally.
Association of College & Research Libraries Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.